Unlike public water, which is regularly tested to ensure the water is safe to drink, individuals or families using a private water supply are responsible for testing for contamination.

If test results indicate that bacterial contamination is occurring, shock chlorination (or disinfection) is the most widely suggested method for initial treatment. Shock chlorination is the one-time introduction of a strong chlorine solution into all the water lines in your home.

Shock chlorination (disinfection) is recommended:

  • when lab results indicate presence of bacteria.

  • upon completion of a new well or after pump replacement or repair.

  • when the distribution system is opened for repairs or maintenance.

  • following contamination by flood water.

  • to control iron and sulfur bacteria.

Shock chlorination (disinfection) is recommended in these circumstances to ensure that bacterial contamination is controlled..